Here are a few questions you may really need to ask yourself. Answering them honestly may help you determine whether or not you are ready to be a parent.
- Can I meet my own needs and raise a child at the same time?
- Am I able to give a child what he/she demands and needs?
- Where do I plan to live?
- Do I want to raise a child in the neighborhood that I live in now?
- Can I afford to support a child?
- How will I pay for rent, clothing, food, diapers, and other living expenses?
- How would I discipline a child?
- Would I have to count on my family or others to help me either financially or emotionally?
- Am I really ready to become a good parent on my own?
- What do I want to achieve in life and to experience out of life?
- Could I handle a child and a job and/or school at the same time?
- Am I willing to stay home while my friends go out and have fun?
- Would I miss my free time and privacy?
- How would I take care of my child’s healthcare needs?
- Do I want my child to be like me?
- Am I expecting my child to make my life happy and to love me?
- When I am around small children for a while, what do I think or feel about having a child around all of the time?
- How would I treat a child if I lost my temper or became angry?
- Am I ready to give up the freedom to do whatever I want?